Interdisciplinary & Collaborative Research Panel
Format: The panel will be a moderated discussion in a Q&A format. Panelists do not need to formally present any materials or plan formal remarks.
Moderator: Geoff Abbott, Professor, Physiology & Biophysics Vice Dean, Basic Science Research, School of Medicine
- Aileen Anderson, Director, Sue & Bill Gross Stem Cell Research Institute; Professor, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, School of Medicine
- Scott Bartell, Associate Dean of Academic Affairs; Professor, Environmental and Occupational Health, Program in Public Health; Professor, Statistics
- Alexandre Chan, Professor of Clinical Pharmacy and Founding Chair, Department of Clinical Pharmacy Practice, School of Pharmacy & Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Krzysztof Palczewski, Irving H. Leopold Chair of Ophthalmology, Distinguished Professor, School of Medicine
- Amir Rahmani, Professor, Sue & Bill Gross School of Nursing; Professor of Computer Science; Associate Director, Institute for Future Health
- Richard Van Etten, Director, Chao Family Comprehensive Cancer Center; Professor, Division of Hematology/Oncology, Biological Chemistry, School of Medicine
- Xiangmin Xu, Professor, Anatomy and Neurobiology; Director, Center for Neural Circuit Mapping, School of Medicine
- Collaboration extends beyond UCI, how can we collaborate with healthcare practitioners, policymakers, patients, and industry partners to create a holistic approach to healthcare research and innovation?
- How do you envision the future of interdisciplinary translational research? What emerging trends or technology are likely to further drive collaboration and innovation?
- How do we create incentives to work in cross-disciplinary teams?
- How do we evaluate the value added of team science, in general, but also specifically in the context of a new building bringing many disciplines together? In such a building, how do we handle the logistics of teams and priorities changing over time? How do we incentivize schools and depts to look beyond those traditional silos?
- In what ways can interdisciplinary research positively impact patient care, treatment strategies, and overall healthcare outcomes, any examples?
- How might the new FLFMIB encourage the formation of new research teams and projects that transcend traditional disciplinary boundaries in healthcare?
- Presents by: UCI Susan & Henry Samueli College of Health Sciences Advisory Board Meeting
- Location: 854 Health Sciences Road, Irvine, CA. 92617 COHS building, Susan Samueli Integrative Health Institute, Palmer Family Research and Conference Room 2608
- Date: Friday, October 13, 2023
- Time: 1:30 PM - 2:15 PM